Objective drawing class

I've never been much of a painter as I find it's easier to lose control of your work with a brush than it is with a pencil... or Photoshop. If things aren't completely perfect I tend to scream like a newborn and begin stabbing my picture to death with the paint brush! 

More recently though I've learnt to be more loose with my mark making and that things you see as mistakes early on can easily be fixed later. I approach my paintings now in the same way I would with my pencil drawings, roughing out the areas of tone and basic shapes and refining the details later.

Below is a 10 minute painting I did to test out my ideas and on the right is the final one I completed in an hour. I really love the simple addition of the chalk highlights. I think the intensity wouldn't be there had I just used white paint.


Terrible quality, sorry, but it is in fact quite a blurry, uncommitted pencil sketch anyway. This was done a couple of weeks ago when we were focusing on weight and how that affects a drawing. I never used to be able to finish drawings this fast (well, almost finish!). Thanks Yolunda Hickman!

No comments:

Post a Comment